[RFC] Reduce SPAM posts by making samba-technical members-only to post

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Wed May 13 08:27:01 GMT 2009

tridge at samba.org wrote:

>  > We run the samba list like this.  I know everyone is getting
>  > tired on the SPAM posts polluting their INBOX and the list
>  > archives.  I'd like to set the list to hold all non-member posts
>  > for moderation.  Comments?
>
> I agree.

Me too.

> I suggest though that for the first month or so after we do
> this that someone will need to monitor the admin interface for the
> list, and add valid people to the auto-accept list.

If you have rules then you should enforce the rules. I'd vote against
maintaining an auto-accept list because it will confuse people if you
add exceptions and make something work and sending from other addresses
won't work. So on the mailing lists I maintain I let valid postings
through one time and send a message to the sender that he/she should
subscribe to the list.

Ciao, Michael.