copy-on-write files

Steve French smfrench at gmail.com
Mon May 11 17:08:17 GMT 2009

Joel,
Looking at your documentation for the new "reflink" syscall (to create
copy-on-write files):
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/jlbec/ocfs2.git;a=blob;f=Documentation/filesystems/reflink.txt;h=58a6b3879114c0cb591fb736152b30291037edd2;hb=c04db1c934e67337318b177688c0b882297fdd66

Have you looked at whether this is close enough to the existing (e.g.
Windows NTFS) copy-on-write syntax/feature so that we could use it
under Samba (and on the client side from cifs and in the future smb2).
  Windows added copy-on-write about 9 or 10 years ago and uses it
extensively. although I have not researched enough to see what
creating these would look like over the network.

--
Thanks,

Steve