Exporting Samba mount using NFS

David Collier-Brown davec-b at rogers.com
Mon Mar 23 19:45:43 GMT 2009

Novgorodsky, Sergey wrote:
> Hi -
>
> I have a Windows application which knows how to write/read files on NFS share.
> I also have a Linux app which is a Samba plugin.
> My Win app must be able to read/write files through my Samba plugin.
> So, I have my Samba  share on a Linux box and I want to export the share for
> the Windows machine as NFS drive.
> Has anyone done such configuration ( export Samba share as NFS share), is it even possible to do it?
>
> Thanks,
> Sergey
>

> This message (and any associated files) is intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain information that is confidential, subject to copyright or constitutes a trade secret. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, copying or distribution of this message, or files associated with this message, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.

You asked that on the development list, and probably want to ask it at
samba at lists.samba.org (;-))

The answer is yes, it will work, as will the inverse, but at a
performance cost, and sometimes Windows clients and
servers will drop connections due to inactivity and make
your share appear to disappear.  If so you'll need to export
a directory with symlinks to the share to kludge it (;-))

--dave

(416) 223-8968