net password set -UAdministrator Bbbbbb

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Mar 20 08:26:30 GMT 2009

On Thu, 2009-03-19 at 14:01 +0200, Sassy Natan wrote:
> Dear Group
>
> I trying to change user password using the net utility and having problem
> with this.
> I running Samba4 Alpha 5 version and when shipping the command:
>
> "net password set -UAdministrator Bob" I getting to following:
>
> Linux:~# net password set -UAdministrator Bob
> Enter new password for account [DC\Bob]:
> Password for [DC\Administrator]:
> net_password_set: SetUserInfo2 level 26 for [Bob] failed:
> NT_STATUS_PASSWORD_RESTRICTION
> return code = -1
> Linux:~#
> I have manage to change the user password from the ADUC (Active Directory
> Users and Computer) but from the command line, I'm still getting error.
>
> My Setup is using OpenLDAP as the back end server.
>
> I also try to change The Default Domain Group Policy Password Policy to have
> no complex password management , but once I restart the server the Policy is
> back to the defaults.
>
> No matter what I do - I can only have  complex passwrod, and only manage to
> change password using the ADUC.

I'm not sure exactly what your problems are with the 'net' tool, but I
do want to clarify one of your problems.

In short:  Samba4 does not honour Group Policy settings.

Samba can provide a host for Group Policy, and allow clients to honour
that policy, but it has no code to decode the group policy objects
itself (yet).  This means that the password complexity check cannot be
disabled with Group Policy

As a future workaround, see my suggestion to the list entitled:

	[SAMBA4] Help wanted: utility to set password properties

(Where I hoped someone might provide a utility to handle this in the
meantime).

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc.