Proposal: Add v3-4-test to the build farm, and revamp the build farm policy

Stefan (metze) Metzmacher metze at samba.org
Tue Mar 17 10:15:54 GMT 2009

Andrew Bartlett schrieb:
> On Fri, 2009-03-13 at 12:54 -0700, Tim Prouty wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Now that v3-4-test has been created, the goal is to aggressively
>> stabilize the branch and prepare it for release in the next few
>> months.  Internally we are putting significant QA resources into
>> testing v3-4-test, and it is my desire to work toward making it rock
>> solid as the v3-4 release approaches.  To keep the code base stable,
>> it is critical that v3-4-test is regularly built and tested in the
>> build farm so that obvious bugs can be caught early and fixed.
>>
>> This brings up a larger point that the build farm names aren't very
>> well mapped to the new release model that has been adopted.  For
>> example, while it's important that v3-4-test is built regularly, this
>> doesn't mean v3-3-test is ready to be removed from the build farm.
>> While it doesn't probably make sense to have a build farm target for
>> every branch in git, there is a lot to be gained from regularly
>> building and testing the branches that are under active development,
>> and that are soon to be released.
>>
>> I propose that we rename:
>> samba_3_X_devel -> samba_3_master
>> samba_3_X_test -> samba_3_3_test
>>
>> And add:
>> samba_3_4_test
>
> While I agree with the rename, I do think it is a problem having so many
> different Samba branches building.  It does pose a rather large load
> (disk space and build space when there is churn) on the build farm
> machines.

I used the generic names, because it makes it much easier to switch
between the branches. It's just a matter of a git checkout -b branch
origin/branch and changing 2 variables in the build-farm svn repo.

With the explicit names: we need to setup the new repo in the
ftp/unpacked area, change the script that autogenerates configure.
change a lot more places in the build-farm svn repo and add special
hooks to delete the old directories. And maybe some more tricky details
I can't remember right now.

For me the switch from v3-2-test to v3-3-test took 5 mins.
While the switches before (without the generic names) took up to 3 hours
and then carefully watching the build logs for the next 24 hours.

I think it's easier to just display the mapping of the generic names in
the web interface and the notify mails to avoid the confusion, but
keep generic names, as it's much easier to maintain.

maybe we could use:
samba_3_X_stable for the -test branch of the current release (v3-3-test)
samba_3_X_test for the -test branch of the next release (v3-4-test)
samba_3_X_devel for master

But we need to decide which ones we want to build on machines with low
disk space.

metze