Memory leak in using smb2_read()?

Stefan (metze) Metzmacher metze at samba.org
Tue Mar 17 08:23:21 GMT 2009

Hi Sun,

> I am suing Samba4, patch6.   I am writing a test case that read a lot a
> large file using smb2_read.
>

> I understand that the data returned from function smb2_read() is stored
> in struct smb2_read.out.data, which is a DATA_BLOB type that is
> dynamically allocated inside function smb2_read().
>

> Do we need free the memory used by smb2_read.out.data?  I checked the
> examples of Samba4, I didn't see any of them free the memory used by
> smb2_read.out.data.   Will this cause memory leaks?

The memory is allocated as a talloc child of the passed mem_ctx,
so the exsting samba4 callers in source4/librpc/ are fine.
The torture tests in source4/torture/smb2 don't really care about memory
leaks.

If you try to add a smb2_read benchmark test you may want to actively
free the DATA_BLOB. Please base your code on the current master branch
(see http://devel.samba.org/), so that we can integrate the tests into
smbtorture.

metze