Working to merge libcli/auth

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Mar 16 10:57:57 GMT 2009

It seemed like a good idea at the time...

I've been working to try and have Samba3 use Samba4's libcli/auth code.
When completed, this will mean we share all the high-level crypto for
NETLOGON, NTLM, SAMR and LSA.

Hopefully this will leave us with a more maintainable codebase, and less
bugs (or, for example Windows 7 compatibility) being fixed in one
branch, and not in the other.

What I have done so far (pretty much just getting smbencrypt.c in
common) is at

http://gitweb.samba.org/?p=abartlet/samba.git/.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/libcli-auth-merge

I'm currently being held up by the fact that we do not share all of the
charcnv.c code (we share rather less of it than I expected), and the
need to adapt Samba3's (many!) callers of the NETLOGON credentials chain
to Samba4's API.

The latter I can solve fairly quickly, but the former may require this
to sit in a branch for a while.

In any case, this is to let folks know what I'm doing, and to invite
anyone who wants to take it over to be my guest :-)

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc.