Proposal: Add v3-4-test to the build farm, and revamp the build farm policy

Tim Prouty tprouty at samba.org
Fri Mar 13 19:54:57 GMT 2009

Hi all,

Now that v3-4-test has been created, the goal is to aggressively
stabilize the branch and prepare it for release in the next few
months.  Internally we are putting significant QA resources into
testing v3-4-test, and it is my desire to work toward making it rock
solid as the v3-4 release approaches.  To keep the code base stable,
it is critical that v3-4-test is regularly built and tested in the
build farm so that obvious bugs can be caught early and fixed.

This brings up a larger point that the build farm names aren't very
well mapped to the new release model that has been adopted.  For
example, while it's important that v3-4-test is built regularly, this
doesn't mean v3-3-test is ready to be removed from the build farm.
While it doesn't probably make sense to have a build farm target for
every branch in git, there is a lot to be gained from regularly
building and testing the branches that are under active development,
and that are soon to be released.

I propose that we rename:
samba_3_X_devel -> samba_3_master
samba_3_X_test -> samba_3_3_test

And add:
samba_3_4_test

I'm envisioning that branches are dropped from the build farm when
they move into security fix only mode.  Since Samba 3.2 is going to
this mode on July 1, 2009, I'm not sure there is much value in adding
it back to the build farm for the next few months, but I wouldn't be
opposed if people would find it useful.

Any thoughts, concerns, and suggestions are appreciated.  Metze, I'm
guessing you're the person who can help me implement the decided upon
solution?

-Tim