[SCM] Samba Shared Repository - branch master updated - release-4-0-0alpha7-297-gcb38888

simo idra at samba.org
Fri Mar 13 17:01:11 GMT 2009

On Fri, 2009-03-13 at 15:56 +0100, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:
> simo schrieb:

> >> I'll maybe to some more changes tomorrow, and will change the version then.

> >> That's why the version isn't 1.0.x yet.
> >
> > Yes but we have code out there in distributions, it is better to increse
> > the version number by 1 at the first change that breaks the API/ABI
> > rather then waiting for more changes to pile, because we will end up
> > forgetting about it, burning a few minor release numbers is not a big
> > deal, but releasing code that have the same release number and is not
> > ABI compatible is a major pain for people that depends on the library as
> > it will not be immediately evident something is wrong and package
> > managers that have dependencies based on the library versions will not
> > warn the user something is wrong.
>
> For libraries with a version a.b.c > 1.0.0 I think we should
> change b each time we add a new feature and a when we changed
> or deleted a feature. c would be changed if a (critical) bug is fixed.
>
> I think I should change the version of talloc to 1.3.0 instead of
> 1.2.2 after adding talloc_set_abort_fn().

I am not too fussy about changing b or c, what matters is that if we
change the ABI in incompatible ways we also change the library version.

If you think just adding talloc_set_abort_fn() warrants a minor version
change, then I am fine with that.

(I am also fine with tevent going 0.9.4, thanks)

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce