To winbind or not to winbind.

William Jojo w.jojo at hvcc.edu
Wed Mar 11 22:51:28 GMT 2009

The subject pretty much says it all. I know that I need winbindd when running Samba in ADS mode as a DMS to AD, otherwise nothing works right.

I was playing in Ubuntu 8.04.2 which has 3.0.28a (trying to stay pure on this box) default winbindd on. Well, when I try to set ACLs on a file (ext3, ea support on, acls and extended_xattr) with winbind on I get no error when I apply the change, but the Windows XP side shows no change but the Samba log shows:

[2009/03/11 18:39:22, 0] smbd/posix_acls.c:create_canon_ace_lists(1438)
  create_canon_ace_lists: unable to map SID S-1-5-21-XXXXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX-1412 to uid or gid.

Then I turn winbindd off and everything is perfect - no problems, acl is applied and the refresh on the Windows side concurs with the Ubuntu side.

Is this by design? I always thought that winbindd running was not a hindrance, util now. In fact I thought I recalled a few threads where is was recommended that winbindd run no matter what your setup.

Can someone elaborate or point to a place where I missed the elaboration?

:-) :-)

Cheers,
Bill