Re-introduced bugs by merging s3 and s4 libraries :-((

Derrell Lipman derrell.lipman at unwireduniverse.com
Tue Mar 3 12:08:50 GMT 2009

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 6:44 AM, Volker Lendecke
<Volker.Lendecke at sernet.de>wrote:

> With your merge of convert_string_talloc you re-introduced a
> bug that we got rid of in S3 long ago: convert_string_talloc
> and others now take a void ** as destination pointer. This
> is not portable C.

Volker, can you point me to the non-portability issues you've seen with
void**? It is easy to misuse void*, for example by assigning a function
pointer to it (that's illegal in C), but if void* is used properly then I
believe that void** should be portable. I'm really interested in where you
saw problems.

Thanks,

Derrell