"pdbedit -P ..." not affecting all users/howtoforce one user to change password

Mamgdzies mamgdzies at tlen.pl
Thu Jun 18 09:32:43 GMT 2009

Hello,

I'm using samba 3.2.41 at Debian Lenny.

I have some users in my smbpasswd file, now I'm trying to force them to
change password once a given period.
#pdbedit -P "maximum password age" -C 300
Above-mentioned command is affecting ONLY "new" users (users created after
first first launch of this command), "old" users are not affected, passwords
doesn't expire.

Why is this working like that? What I can do?

Second case is: How to force one user to change password at next login? I
assume that pdbedit option "must login to change password" should be used
for that, but how to run it for one user?

I have try smbpasswd, tdbsam and ldap user databases (using pdbedit
import-export feature).

I would be pleased for your help.

Regards.