various samba ldap questions

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Jun 29 09:43:52 GMT 2009

On Thu, 2009-06-11 at 12:09 +0400, Matthieu Patou wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> After working more closely with LDAP part of samba I am asking some
> questions
> * is the whole data retrieved from the database before paging ?

Currently, yes.

> * what is going on when using both paging and sorting, do we get all the
> data or just the attribute(s) on which the sort is done and then fetch
> associated data ?

I'm pretty sure we get the lot.

> * could it be interesting to add some profiling information to know the
> search requests issued in order to see if current indexes are used or if
> new indexes are needed

We have a crude way of doing this - tridge places a printf() in ldb
whenever we do an unindexed search.   Certainly it could be made more
useful.

> * is vlv (virtual list view) used in real life, if so is there a plan to
> implement it in samba ?

The tool to watch would be MMC.  It seems to use every LDAP trick in the
book.

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc.