backend-schema

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Jun 29 01:50:33 MDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-06-24 at 13:50 +0200, Oliver Liebel wrote:
> maybe there is a little conceptional problem with the
> backend-schema.schema in samba 4, if someone
> wants to use standard objectClasses/attributeTypes
> for other objects than samba4-objects (e.g. like posixAccount:
> uidNumber, gidNumber, loginShell)
> with the openldap-backend too.
>
> since many of the standard-attributes  are pre-defined
> in backend-schema.schema (too), ist not possible to use
> the standard schemas (core,cosine, nis etc.) in addition,
> because slapd will ran into duplicate attribute errors when
> started up.
>
> what about a pre-defined, reduced
> backend-schema.schema, that could be used
> in addition to the standard schemas ?

Part of the definition of backend-schema is that it is not pre-defined.
To pre-define it would create a whole host of issues, starting with the
need to keep it updated.

We already do some of the 'skip' stuff when working around hard-coded
attributes (see setup/schema-map-openldap-2.3).

At the moment, I think it's best to just use Microsoft's schema.

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc.