[Release Planning 3.2] 3.2.13 scheduled for August 12, 2009

Christian Perrier bubulle at debian.org
Fri Jun 19 16:21:27 GMT 2009

Quoting Karolin Seeger (kseeger at samba.org):
> Hey folks,
>
> Samba 3.4.0 will be out soon and according to the new Samba life cycle,
> this means the end of life for the 3.2 series. 3.2.13 will be the last
> release of the 3.2 series.
>
> 3.2.13 is scheduled for August 12, 2009.
>
> As there are some vendors still shipping 3.2, it might be a good idea to
> provide security releases (no bugfixes!) a bit longer than actually
> planned. What do you think?

>From the Debian POV, 3.2 is what we have in Lenny, released February
2009.

If Debian follows the "between 18 and 24 months" "release cycle" we
have right now, it means we should release Squeeze between October
2010 and February 2010. As n-1 releases are still supported,
security-wise, for 6 months after the n release, we will therefore
need to support Lenny, thus Samba 3.2 until AUgust 2011 or so.

This is ceertainly much more than what you folks will commit to. I
still think that this is sustainable because we can imagin that
announced security issues in the future, even after 3.2 EOL, will be
"easy" to diagnose whether they affect 3.2 or not.

This is actually the state we reached with Debian Etch, still
supported for a few months...while you just announced 3.0 upcoming
EOL.....

The same reasoning probably applies to Ubuntu LTS releases (even for a
much longer time frame as LTS releases are said to be supported for 5
years).