TDB historical performance (with pretty graphs)

Rusty Russell rusty at rustcorp.com.au
Thu Jun 18 04:48:48 GMT 2009

Hi all,

    I've been doing some measurements on tdb performance, mainly to see if all
the additions since the old code (eg. transactions, hasnfn) have caused
noticeable slowdown.  Was a bit of a pain to compile all the versions (git
didn't seem to figure out all those source moves), and so some are missing, but
I was interested in trends.

Executive summary:
   There's no significant slowdown trend, but some changes have made real
performance differences.  But there's still room for improvement: we seem to
suck recently on the "replace 5000 4byte key 4 byte date records with 8 byte
dataa records" but I can't immediately see why: 1024-byte key/4 byte data
records are better than ever.

So enjoy the prettiness!
Rusty.
PS. Tests were run on a 64-bit x86 system; values are total usecs.