upgrading "old" samba to new schema

Matthieu Patou mat+Informatique.Samba at matws.net
Tue Jun 16 15:51:09 GMT 2009

Hello andrew,

I spent some time today to manually upgrade my test env to the new
schema and I succeeded.
I've done almost like provisionning a new domain and  copying new
schema.ldb and configuration.ldb to my current installation.
My current installation was provisionned in december 2008 or something
like this (but after that extend dn have been committed).

Well of course all the subtitlity is in the almost.
Because the couple user.ldb/configuration.ldb and user.ldb/schema.ldb
where not coherent in terms of SID and GUID (I guess I could managed to
have coherence on SID if I forced the new provision to use the same SID
as the current one ...).
So I've been exporting to plain text the content of the new
configuration.ldb and schema.ldb and the current content of user.ldb as
well.
In the plain files I've been looking for GUID= and SID= strings that
were related to cross objects (from one partition to another one, ie.
CN=TEST,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=sm
  b4,DC=tst in user.ldb text file), I've replaced the GUID and SID in
those strings and also the parentGUID of CN=Configuration,DC=smb4,DC=tst
so that that three ldb are in sync.
I also looked at the biggest usn in the current.ldb and modified all the
usn of schema.ldb and configuration.ldb in order to had to uSN* my
biggest usn +1. My idea here is to avoid to have two identical usn in
user.ldb and in configuration.ldb (or schema.ldb), I am not sure that
this is mandatory but in case of doubt ...
The final step is to modify secrets.ldb to add entries that were missing
(I guess this step is more related to continuous improvement of samba
rather than just to the schema upgrade) and not forgetting to change the
SID/GUID so that they are in sync with my current installation.

I discovered that editing secrets.ldb regenerate the keytabs if values
are modified and that these keytab contains news values that broke
machine account, fortunatly restoring the saved keytab solve
automatically the thing.

All of this have been **very** interesting in order to have a better
view of what an upgrade script should do and where pitfalls of the
process. If you have any comments.

Matthieu.