Outdated packaging in packaging/Debian

Christian Perrier bubulle at debian.org
Sun Jun 14 05:57:46 GMT 2009

Quoting Steve Langasek (vorlon at debian.org):
> On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 05:29:27AM -0500, Andrew Kroeger wrote:
>
> > Please do not take this the wrong way, but Samba is far too dynamic to
> > allow downstream sources to be the ultimate authority WRT packaging.
>
> Debian and Ubuntu are far too dynamic to allow upstream sources to be the
> ultimate authority WRT packaging. :)  Effectively, all that packaging is is

I think that Andrew was not objecting to this, but more to the removal
of *other* distros packaging (RPM-based stuff).

For those, things maybe need to be discussed in order to clarify
whether things are done as close as what we're doing for the .deb
world.

> Thanks to the efforts of Christian Perrier, Samba pre-releases are tracked
> quite closely in Debian experimental.  Users who wish to build packages of
> snapshots are much better off using that as a base to work from.

Ouch, /me hides with a red face..:-)

I think we could identify the patches that can be safely dropped in
case people want to build packages that have a behaviour that's as
close as possible from upstream's....

We have indeed 3 categories of patches:

- mandatory patches to make things work in a Debian environment
  those are unreasonable to drop

- more cosmetic patches (to documentation) meant to make a clearer
  reference to the way things are organized in Debian/Ubuntu
  those can be dropped by people who want to stay completely close
  to upstream

- more debatable patches that change the software behaviour
  those are often things we reported in Bugzilla but haven't been
  integrated yet...
  those can be dropped safely if people want the exact upstream
  behaviour

SerNet packages are indeed very close to be packages with only patches
from the 1st category. That was my goal back in 2008 when I worked on
them and proposed SerNet a revamped version. What I'm less sure is
whether they had time to integrate this..:-)