Outdated packaging in packaging/Debian

Steve Langasek vorlon at debian.org
Sat Jun 13 19:54:03 GMT 2009

On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 05:29:27AM -0500, Andrew Kroeger wrote:

> Please do not take this the wrong way, but Samba is far too dynamic to
> allow downstream sources to be the ultimate authority WRT packaging.

Debian and Ubuntu are far too dynamic to allow upstream sources to be the
ultimate authority WRT packaging. :)  Effectively, all that packaging is is
a four-year-old snapshot of Debian's own packaging.  None of the packaging
changes that have been made in Debian and Ubuntu to keep Samba up-to-date on
integration with the OS are reflected there.  Even after you fix the
unsatisfiable build-dependencies (python2.3-dev was dropped from Debian
before the etch release, over two years ago), you can't even use that
packaging for things like building cifs.upcall, needed if you're doing
kerberos-secured kernel CIFS mounts - so not only has that packaging
directory not kept pace with OS integration, it's not kept pace with Samba's
own development.

$ diff -uNr packaging/Debian/debian-unstable/ debian/ --exclude .svn --exclude patches --exclude po| diffstat | tail -n 1
$

> If the goal is to prevent Samba team members from being responsible for
> the Samba packaging for a given named distribution, please provide links
> within the proposed README to the Samba wiki so that packaging
> contributions can be made by all.

I think the goal is clearly to stop carrying stale packaging data for which
*no one* is responsible.

> Allowing downstream packagers to build their own distributions of Samba
> packages is the nature of the FOSS community.  However, not providing
> packaging resources to those who wish to "roll their own" packages from
> any given Samba snapshot seems to me to be telling those who are
> following Samba development that they're on their own - not that there's
> a community behind them.

Thanks to the efforts of Christian Perrier, Samba pre-releases are tracked
quite closely in Debian experimental.  Users who wish to build packages of
snapshots are much better off using that as a base to work from.