Python scripts on SAMBA4 - Alpha 8

MICHAEL BROWN mbrown at mesainc.com
Mon Jul 27 08:12:28 MDT 2009

Jelmer,
I gave up trying to compile SAMBA 4 to work with Python on SLES 9 using alpha 8.
Nothing I did would ever work.  SLES 10 works fine but SLES 9 does not.  However, I did
get SLES 9 to work on an earlier release but it just became so frustrating to work on
SLES 9 trying to test SAMBA 4 in preparing everything so that it would work within our
"test" production environment.  What I do now is run SLES 10 AD servers and join
SAMBA 3, running on SLES 9, to SAMBA 4.  This works very well for us because all of
our production servers are SLES 9 at this time.  I can live with upgrading a couple just
for replication, etc., when it's ready.

I do have some other questions, if you don't mind:

*) Is it possible, at this time, to compile SAMBA 4 to use SSL binding for LDAP calls to AD?

*) How is the SAMBA team progressing on back-end replication for SAMBA 4 AD?

These two things are the *main* things that would get us very close to rolling it out.
Also, everything else seems to be working fine from my testing in that I have not seen any
issues yet.  The SAMBA team is doing a fantastic job!

Thanks!

Jelmer Vernooij <jelmer at samba.org> wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> MICHAEL BROWN wrote:
>> I am testing on SLES 9, which has Python 2.3 installed by default.  SAMBA 4
> does not like this version
>> for some reason so I compiled and installed version 2.6.  I then compiled
> SAMBA 4 and everything
>> compiles fine with the build recognizing "/usr/local/bin/python" and
> "/usr/local/lib/python2.6".
>> After the compile, I try to run the ./setup/provision script and I always
> get:
>>
> What happens if you run /usr/local/bin/python ./setup/provision ?
>
> If this doesn't work either, please provide your config.log file. We
> might be trying to use python2.3 for some things and python2.6 for
> others; that's a bug.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jelmer

NOTICE - This communication may contain confidential and privileged information that is for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any viewing, copying or distribution of, or reliance on this message by unintended recipients is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.