smb.conf For Samba?

John MacLennan jkm84691 at creighton.edu
Tue Jul 21 09:06:54 MDT 2009

Old mainframer needs help.
I have Freebsd 6.1 unix, need to allow 2 or 3 users to access a directory on
the Unix machine from their windows XP machines.
So have read Installing and configuring Samba from the samba.org website. My
question is about the [global ]setting in the smb.conf, workgroup = ??????,
I believe this is the domain name to which the XP machines belong to
 and the netbios name = ??????, is this a made up name, which will appear in
the user's XP
Network NeighbourHood.
When I look at my smb.conf(copied from smb.conf.default), I see the line
below which confuses me

# Using the following line enables you to customise your configuration
# on a per machine basis. The %m gets replaced with the netbios name
# of the machine that is connecting

 include = %%SAMBA_CONFDIR%%/smb.conf.%m

Do I have the right version of samba, this is what I have in the pkg
directory

drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  512 Jan  5  2007 samba-libsmbclient-3.0.21b