Is there a reason to have source4 in 3.4 releases?

Timur I. Bakeyev timur at com.bat.ru
Mon Jul 20 21:37:39 MDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 09:06:51PM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> Since Samba 3.4 has been released, I've now seen two different enquires
> where folks have expected to find a 'released' version of Samba4 in the
> 3.4 tarball.
>
> Is there any reason for the source4 tree to be released in Samba 3.4
> releases?  Users of Samba4 from that branch are only going to be
> disappointed (as it is will be an increasingly older snapshot), and the
> work for 'Franky' and other combined tree efforts is occouring in
> master, not the 3.4 release tree.

As the (sorta) end user I saw source4/ as a snapshot of Samba4 code,
occasionally - more fresh than Samba4.0.0alpha7 (that's when I was
trying it), but now older, than alpha8. I guess, it can create confusion
for average user regarding "freshness" of the code and it's position
in the source tree regarding releases.

What I would like to see - is an ability of Samba3 installation to
co-exist and cooperate with Samba4 installation, as it meant by Franky,
but OOTB, without need of recompilation parts of the code.

So, having alpha8 installed on my machine, I'd like to install Samba 3.4
so it'll pick up the presence of Samba4 AD and started to communicate
with it natuarally. That may require some renaming of the files in Samba4,
but should be feasable.

That would ease my life as package maitainer too - we can just ship two
independent packages of Samba to the users and let them get it combined
on demand.

Regards,
Timur.