Is there a reason to have source4 in 3.4 releases?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Jul 15 05:41:04 MDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-07-15 at 13:26 +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 03:14:50PM +0400, Gennady G. Marchenko wrote:
> >    I think that if it (sources smb4 in smb3.4) will need for further
> > development so let keep it as is. If doesn't - it is a good idea to
> > remove it. IMHO.
>
> Well, it's very handy to have at least the smbtorture4
> utility around for development. It's not strictly required
> for production servers, but probably at some point we'll
> ship it anyway due to the Franky approach to getting an
> AD DC asap.
>
> So, for 3.4.1 if users really complain, we could remove it.
>
> Andrew, what kinds of requests did you get exactly? Sorry,
> but I missed them somehow.

I've had one person who (when current GIT failed) mentioned by private
mail that he was using the 3.4.0 release.  Now this might, in this case
be a more recent snapshot than the preceding alpha, but it's not a point
in the linear Samba4 tree, and so when he has other trouble, I won't be
able to help.

The other was the inquiry you and I dealt with a few days ago on IRC.

It isn't a flood, but for me a worrying trickle.

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.