Is there a reason to have source4 in 3.4 releases?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Jul 15 05:06:51 MDT 2009

Since Samba 3.4 has been released, I've now seen two different enquires
where folks have expected to find a 'released' version of Samba4 in the
3.4 tarball.

Is there any reason for the source4 tree to be released in Samba 3.4
releases?  Users of Samba4 from that branch are only going to be
disappointed (as it is will be an increasingly older snapshot), and the
work for 'Franky' and other combined tree efforts is occouring in
master, not the 3.4 release tree.

(For similar reasons, I remove source3 and the Samba3 WHATSNEW etc from
the Samba4 alpha releases)

Any thoughts?

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.