samba cluster and nmbd

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Wed Jul 15 02:53:26 MDT 2009

Christian M Ambach wrote:
> Michael wrote on 07/14/2009 10:39:01 PM:
>
> > The NetBIOS browsing stuff works with broadcasts. Since the nodes
> > in a samba-ctdb cluster should appear as _one_ cifs server with a
> > common netbios name and so on, when you start nmbd on mutliple
> > nodes, then the nmbd will compete with each other about who the
> > names belong to. Also the wins functionality of nmbd is not
> > replicated properly in the cluster (it is not a tdb database that
> > could be replicated by ctdb).
>
> There is a config parameter cluster addresses with which you can specify
> which addresses nmbd should announce on the network.
> However there is currently no direct interaction between ctdb and nmbd,
> so each time you modify your list of public addresses, you'll have to
> update that parameter.
>
> I am not sure if this allows to run nmbd multiple times, but at least
> with one nmbd, it will announce all addresses of your cluster.

Golly gosh - I was not aware of this at all!!

Thanks Christian for pointing this out...

It is precisely supposed to make nmbd runnable on all cluster
nodes. Metze has added this 2 years ago... As Christian wrote,
you need to update this setting when you change the overall list of
public IP addresses.

When you specify an (external) wins server in smb.conf, then
the nmbds will register the cluster addresses with the wins
server (under the netbios name of the cluster) automatically.

This should be an external server though.

Michael