Join XP into s4?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Jul 8 06:05:36 GMT 2009

On Wed, 2009-07-08 at 07:54 +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 08:50:13AM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > On Tue, 2009-07-07 at 23:02 +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > While trying to join an XP workstation into a current Samba4
> > > DC, I'm getting
> > >
> > > NTLM2: created signature over 117 bytes of input:
> > > BAD SIG NTLM2: wanted signature over 117 bytes of input:
> > > BAD SIG: got signature over 117 bytes of input:
> > > NTLMSSP NTLM2 packet check failed due to invalid signature on 117 bytes of input!
> > >
> > > on stdout. This is a merged build smbd4, but running all
> > > services. From looking at the sniff, to me it looks that an
> > > encrypted LDAP connection is being terminated by the DC.
> > >
> > > How do I debug this? Sniffs & any logs certainly available
> > > on request.
> >
> > A big assistance would be to try and git bisect to figure out where we
> > (I, this code is my responsibility) broke it.  Matthias first noticed
> > what I think is the same bug a little while back, but I didn't look into
> > the problem properly at the time.
>
> Do you have a pointer where to start the bisect? A year ago?

I doubt it's that old, but it's possible.  I would try with the previous
alpha (from Feb), surely some of our users would have seen it if we had
a failure there.

I hope it's much more recent than that.  In terms of times that this
code has changes, it's in the past few days (I made a small change
there), possibly the time of the Heimdal merge just before the last
alpha, and the auth merge work I did at SambaXP.

I'm going to start chasing this down from a correctness approach (ie,
stare at code and try and see what's wrong).

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.