the sorry saga of the talloc soname 'fix'

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Jul 7 07:10:26 GMT 2009

On Tue, 2009-07-07 at 15:46 +1000, tridge at samba.org wrote:
> Hi Volker,
>
>  > If we were talking about a significant improvement, I would
>  > be with you. But IMO improved error messages don't justify
>  > this.
>
> If you had spent time trying to track down the problems that this
> patch fixed without the use of those error messages (as I tried to do
> at first), then you might rate the importance of the messages.
>
> We've fixed a lot of bugs thanks to those new error messages, I am
> have thus become rather fond of them!

I think Volker is right, that given we can easily (for some definition
of easily) avoid changing the ABI, then it's an easier way out of this
mess.  Had you proposed a more radical solution, there would perhaps
have been less resistance :-)

But I wonder if we really have preserved the ABI.  Given that
talloc_free() and talloc_steal() now does a different thing, won't it
now allow a use-after-free?  This would be an ABI change (even if not a
signature change), and justify the change.

This is more than just a cleanup of possible memory leaks, isn't it?

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.