the sorry saga of the talloc soname 'fix'

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Mon Jul 6 11:51:56 GMT 2009

Hi Tridge,

tridge at samba.org wrote:
> I chose these two binaries as they demonstrate different types of
> brokenness in the way that talloc/ldb/mapi/samba/openchange etc have
> all been packaged. For example:
>
>   - The libldb-samba4-0 package provides a libldb.so.0 which has a
>     built in static copy of talloc.
>
>   - the libmapi.so package links to a dynamic libtalloc.so, but also
>     links to libdcerpc.so
>
>   - libdcerpc.so has a staticly linked talloc built in
>
>   - etc etc
>
> The same type of brokenness is rife through all the various packages
> that use talloc currently.

FWIW, these issues were fixed in Debian experimental a couple of months
ago, so I would expect Karmic to ship with properly working packages.
More specifically, libldb-samba4-0 is now gone (there's only one ldb
package left) and libdcerpc/libtalloc link against a shared version of
libtalloc or fail, rather than falling back to a static version of the
library like it would previously.

Cheers,

Jelmer