the sorry saga of the talloc soname 'fix'

simo idra at samba.org
Mon Jul 6 00:56:30 GMT 2009

On Mon, 2009-07-06 at 09:00 +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-07-04 at 13:24 -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 04, 2009 at 11:48:36AM +1000, tridge at samba.org wrote:
> >
> > > So yes, congratulations all round are in order. You've just overridden
> > > the talloc package maintainer by introducing real bugs, made us
> > > non-portable, introduced silent and difficult to track failures of
> > > applications, broken the ABI promises, lied to the distro package
> > > managers and loader and generally had a great time. But at least we
> > > haven't brought the good name of free software into disrepute by
> > > using up a precious .so number, so it was all worth it.
> >
> > Tridge, I don't think this has overridden you as
> > the talloc library maintainer - this thing is your
> > baby and you make the technical decisions on how it works.
> > If you say the right technical bugfix is to require us to
> > break the ABI, we break the ABI and deal with it, no question.
> > But you must admit this fix didn't *require* us to break the
> > ABI. I'm sorry you feel overridden on this, I don't think
> > that was the intention of anyone.
>
> The problem I have here is:  In our development tree, why was time of
> such an imperative that this had to be overridden without a discussion
> and agreement on the list?

Just for the record.
I pushed the patch only after I got 3 acks from 3 of the most senior
samba team members. If anyone had nacked the patch I would have never in
my right mind thought of pushing it. But there was no negative comment.

Perhaps I shouldn't have taken silence as an implicit ack, but normally
we nack on the list when a proposed patch is not liked. In all cases
where there are only acks we always assume all silent members are not
objecting.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce