[SCM] Samba Shared Repository - branch master updated - release-4-0-0alpha8-154-g826ee30

Michael Adam ma at sernet.de
Fri Jul 3 08:51:35 GMT 2009

Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:
> simo schrieb:
> > On Thu, 2009-07-02 at 22:58 +1000, tridge at samba.org wrote:
> >
> >> If you can propose a way to do this with no ABI change then please
> >> propose a patch (and please don't just re-send Sam's patch, I'll
> >> address that in a separate email).
> >
> > Attached a possible patch.
> > NOTE: I am not proposing to push this one, it compiles and should work,
> > but I want to make a few tests on a system using this new talloc with an
> > old samba to confirm it really works.
> >
> > I had 2 choices here, one was to simply always call the new functions,
> > but this would break applications that called talloc_free/talloc_steal
> > against a context that had references. The other was to call the
> > original functions (renamed to _internal) and live with the bugs in
> > older apps.
> >
> > I took the second route because it does not change anything for existing
> > apps, and, as soon as they are recompiled it will be fixed
> > automatically, looks like a sane tradeoff to me, but any comment is very
> > welcome as long as the discussion is polite.
>
> +1
>
> That patch is exactly what I was proposing (I just was to lazy and only
> made a prototype instead of a full working patch).
>
> I think we can make _talloc_steal_internal static...
>
> And we need to allow samba to build against 1.4.0...
>
> And we should wrap the fprintf statements into #if 0 or #ifdef DEVELOPER.

+1 (including metze's additions)

Very good, this is the level of care we need to exercise
in order to not create unnecessary pain for our external
users of talloc.

Simo, thanks for insisting so much with your very valid arguments
and for this patch!

Cheers - Michael

--
Michael Adam <ma at sernet.de>
phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9