[SCM] Samba Shared Repository - branch master updated - release-4-0-0alpha8-154-g826ee30

Steve Langasek vorlon at debian.org
Fri Jul 3 06:51:12 GMT 2009

On Thu, Jul 02, 2009 at 08:32:46AM -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:

> As Simo pointed out, there are issues when two different
> versions of the same library get loaded into the same address
> space. Moving to a new major version is something library
> maintainers usually avoid if they can, for this reason. If this were a
> major change (for some unknown value of major :-), then I'd
> agree we need talloc.so.2, but we have a compatibility workaround
> that seems to make this a gratuitous change.

> If there were no other way to do this I'd agree with you,
> but there are backwards compatible ways to do this, so why
> not use them ?

If this is really a concern, then I would strongly encourage making symbol
versioning part of the ABI for this library (on systems that support symbol
versioning) sooner rather than later, so that a future ABI change that
*doesn't* have a good backwards-compatible workaround doesn't become the End
Of The World. :)

Cheers,