[QUICK] talloc bugs

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Wed Jul 1 12:12:06 GMT 2009

Hi Simo,

 > In any case I'd like to stress we need to maintain ABI compatibility, so
 > whatever the decision I think we need still quite some work on what was
 > currently committed (possibly with a revert first).

To justify that please point me at a valid use of talloc that was in
our tree that the change broke.

The change affected code that was already ambiguous. Ambiguous code is
something we always want to avoid, and we should not be preserving
ambiguous APIs.

Regarding the ABI, yes I broke that as talloc_free was a function and
is now a macro. That means a recompile. Has talloc usage outside of
Samba really grown to the point where a recompile is unacceptable?
Shouldn't the person building the package just bump the version
number?

Cheers, Tridge