[SCM] Samba Shared Repository - branch master updated - 1c77c7f3d5b6cb29fac4606299c237c0e299f836

Derrell Lipman derrell.lipman at unwireduniverse.com
Sat Jan 17 03:14:31 GMT 2009

> > I can't imagine why there would be a function for specifying the case
> > sensitivity (cli_set_case_sensitive) if it were possible to determine
> > whether the remote server *is* case sensitive. If it is possible then the
> > case-sensitive setting should be automatically configured when the
> > connection is established. What am I missing here? Is there ever a time
> that
> > you'd want case sensitive when the server is not, or vice versa?
>
> Case sensitivity is something you can negotiate with the server.
> for example samba is case insensitive normally, but case sensitive when
> you negotiate unix extensions.
>
> I think case sensitivity should be based on what has been negotiated
> with the server, and not set arbitrarily.

Sounds reasonable to me. That should be during connection establishment,
shouldn't it? It doesn't sounds like it should be at the application level.
I'd certainly appreciate pointers to where in the code that negotiation
takes place, and I'll look into proposing a patch that calls
cli_set_case_sensitive() automatically depending on the negotiation. That
will impact much more than just libsmbclient, so I'll post the patch to the
list to get buy-off.

Thanks,

Derrell