Unable to join a domain with windows 7 beta1

Larry Velez larry at sinu.com
Wed Jan 14 10:58:09 GMT 2009

This may be completely off base here, but I noticed that Windows 7 has a concept of different classifications for the networks you connect to.  It seems to default to an 'untrusted/unknown' type which allows only "local access" to the network, which seems to mean communication on your own subnet only.

I have noticed one behavior that seems to be a bug where the wireless connection on a laptop will default back to 'local access only' after a reboot even if it is manually set correctly.

I'm thinking that there is a chance that this new "security" subsystem might be misidentifying the samba server as 'not local', or worse that it only trusts Windows machines.

Just throwing some ideas out there for troubleshooting.