i5/OS Netserver performance

Tue Jan 13 15:34:18 GMT 2009

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 03:50:50PM +0100, Tom.VanLooy at lisis.be wrote:
> > So in this case, you would need to compare the same operation
> > from a client against a Windows server and Netserver and see
> > where the network traffic differs (or starts to diverge).
>
> When I access a Samba server (3.0.22-11-SUSE-CODE10) on Linux (test
> machine).
> Everything goes over port 139. It starts with a classic TCP handshake.
> I have exactly the same behaviour when I connect to a Windows 2003 server.
>
> When I access a Netserver on i5/OS (v5r4). It starts with some
> communication on port 111.
> First sends a [SYN] to port 111. The server responds several times with
> [RST][ACK].
> Which means the port is closed, nmap confirms this :-)
>
> Then it connects to port 445 and 139, the server accepts both connection.
>   - Next the client sends a [RST] to port 139.
>     It does this a few times and at the end I see a session request.
>   - On port 445 the client negotiates the protocol which looks like:
>     "PC NETWORK PROGRAM1.0 LANMAN1.0 Windows for Workgroups 3.1a LM1 2X002
> LANMAN2.1 NTLM 0.12"
>     Next it sends a session request but the server replies with "access
> denied".
>     This also happens several times, and at the end the server responds
> with "tree accept".
>     Next I see a lot of replies "operation not supported" as response to
> "path \spoolss and path \wkssvc".

That sucks. File a bug with IBM that they don't support
current clients properly. Clients these days expect RPC to
work, no idea what magic happens when the client figures out
the server is downlevel.

You should ask IBM to either port Samba to that platform,
pay someone to port it or update their SMB server to current
standards.

Volker

P.S: I know I'm being cynic here, but I doubt you will ever
get decent performance out of that SMB server unless it is
seriously updated.