Thanks to Andrew(s), OpenChange Schema works again

Julien Kerihuel j.kerihuel at openchange.org
Thu Jan 1 14:11:36 GMT 2009

On Thu, 2009-01-01 at 15:08 +0200, Sassy Natan wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Does this mean that the openchange provision script now works?

Hi Sassy,

I've been testing both schema provisioning and extending user and it
works fine for me so far - at least are sufficient for me to work on
fixing EMSABP provider.

e.g.: the newuser script extends user attributes properly,
enable/disable modify mandatory attributes properly, etc.

In the meantime, I have not been doing extensive tests such as testing
all the script options I had implemented, so there may be remaining bugs
which I'll deal with later (when I have done good progress with
openchange server implementation).

> I'm in a middle of a process to rewrite the Windows 2008 Schema Files
> located in the Samba4 head version so I hope this will not impact my
> work.

At the moment, openchange_provision scripts performs the following
steps:
        1. Register Exchange OIDs
        2. Add new Exchange classes and attributes to Samba schema
        3. Add missing ADSC classes to Samba schema
        4. Extend existing Samba classes and attributes
        5. Exchange Samba with Exchange configuration objects

I have not been looking at Windows 2008 schemas, so I'm not sure whether
this may have any impact on your work.

> Why not to combine the exchange schema and windows 2008 schema
> together?

For the same reasons why Windows AD doesn't come with Exchange schemas
and require Exchange to be installed to extend AD.

I don't see good reasons why someone would need Exchange schemas if he
only intends to run Samba4. It would IMHO be pointless to add Exchange
complexity while it is not needed.

Maybe one good example would be that someone needs to create a windows
account, but doesn't want to create an Exchange mailbox which would turn
into:
        1. run samba ./setup/newuser to create user account in Samba4 AD
        2. run openchange ./setup/openchange_newuser to extend
        attributes and create the mailbox.

Cheers,
Julien.

--
Julien Kerihuel
j.kerihuel at openchange.org
OpenChange Project Manager

GPG Fingerprint: 0B55 783D A781 6329 108A  B609 7EF6 FE11 A35F 1F79