[SCM] Samba Shared Repository - branch master updated -release-4-0-0alpha6-1045-gfc02c3b0

Steven Danneman steven.danneman at isilon.com
Sun Feb 22 12:54:21 MST 2009

> >     Introduce a new passdb backend: pdb_onefs_sam
> >
> >     Implements a custom backend for onefs that exclusively uses the wbclient
> >     interface for all passdb calls.
> >     It lacks some features of a standard passdb.
> >     In particular its a read only interface and doesnt implement privileges.
> >
> > commit c383022f89a34b83039502cc58178498cc06370e
> > Author: Dan Sledz <dan.sledz at isilon.com>
> > Date:   Fri Feb 13 12:24:22 2009 -0800
> >
> >     Introduce a new authentication backend auth_onefs_wb
> >
> >     This new backend is custom tailored to onefs unique requirements:
> >     1) No fallback logic
> >     2) Does not validate the domain of the user
> >     3) Handles unencrypted passwords
>
> What about these is onefs specific? Why did you put "onefs"
> into the names?

Hey Jeremy, Volker,

No compelling reason to put onefs in the names other than the behavior specifically matches the central authority provider that we have setup in our system.  However,
all the programming interfaces are through wbclient.

What do you think of "pdb_wbc_sam", and "auth_wbc"?  Ill make the distinction in the code and comment that the difference between auth_wbc and auth_winbind is that the first doesnt filter out local user, but instead expects the backend to handle them.

There is a configuration problem currently as well due to smbd and winbindd using the same "passdb backend" smb.conf parameter.  If it is set to pdb_wbc_sam, smbd will call into winbindd, which will then call into itself, and then fail.  We could fix that with a second "winbind passdb backend" parameter defaulting to the first if not set.

-Steven