[SCM] Samba Shared Repository - branch v3-3-test updated - release-3-2-0pre2-4999-g07c7085

Derrell Lipman derrell.lipman at unwireduniverse.com
Fri Feb 20 20:51:36 MST 2009

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 9:48 PM, Derrell Lipman <
derrell.lipman at unwireduniverse.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 7:41 PM, Jeremy Allison <jra at samba.org> wrote:
>

>> -       smbc_set_credentials(workgroup,
>> -                            user,
>> -                            password,
>> +       /* Using CONST_DISCARD here is ugly, but
>> +        * we know that smbc_set_credentials() doesn't
>> +        * actually modify the strings, and should have
>> +        * been const from the start. We're constrained
>> +        * by the ABI here.
>> +        */
>> +
>> +       smbc_set_credentials(CONST_DISCARD(char *,workgroup),
>> +                            CONST_DISCARD(char *,user),
>> +                            CONST_DISCARD(char *,password),
>>                             use_kerberos,
>> -                            (char *)signing_state);
>> +                            CONST_DISCARD(char *,signing_state));
>>

> Jeremy, this is fugly. Would you please either convince me that changing
> smbc_set_credentials to have const parameters would, in fact, change the ABI
> (it is my contention that it does not), or let's remove this crap and add
> const to the smbc_set_credentials parameters.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Derrell

Hmmm... Rereading... That sounds way stronger and much more aggressive than
was my intention. Sorry about that. But still, I think we can add const to
smbc_set_credentials parameters, remove all of these discards, and be done
with it, without affecting the ABI.

Derrell