[SCM] Samba Shared Repository - branch master updated - release-4-0-0alpha6-917-g8e19a28

Tim Prouty tprouty at samba.org
Tue Feb 17 15:32:56 MST 2009

On Feb 16, 2009, at 8:18 PM, Jeremy Allison wrote:

> This looks ugly to me. I haven't gone through the
> code carefully enough yet, but I will :-). I'm tempted
> to push this back as a "vendor-specific" change, but
> I need to understand it first, and this code is very
> dangerous to change for historical reasons. Please
> consider this commit temporary until we've reviewed
> it thoroughly :-).

After a lot of internal discussion we have decided that we would
be OK with keeping this as an internal patch.  This patch solves
a specific case of a general problem that we have had multiple
high-profile customers request.  The general problem is that
customers in mixed unix/windows environments want the ability to
have group transitivity between the SIDs in their nt token and
their unix group membership in nis/ldap.  It turns out that we can
make most of those customers happy by just ignoring the group
membership in the nt token and replacing it with the user's unix
group membership.  This was the goal of Zach's patch, and we
believed it was something that would be generally useful to other
users of samba who have the same requirements as our customers.

In the future we would like to implement full group transitivity
support which may include introducing a new interface into this
code path that allows for modularization and some serious
cleanup.  The goal would be to make the token an opaque structure
to create a cleaner abstraction that would allow for more
flexibility going forward.  Since this would almost cetainly make
this new parameter obsolete, I can live with making this patch
vendor-specific and removing it from the upstream repository if
it's not useful for others.

I'll plan on reverting it tomorrow to give some time for any
further comment.  We sincerely appreciate everyone's feedback on
this patch.

Thanks!

-Tim