infinite loop in find_new_dc

Steven Danneman steven.danneman at isilon.com
Thu Feb 12 01:16:29 MST 2009

> If you are not using WINS and your DNS search order does not
> allow resolution of the name returned by the get_dcs call
> you will put winbindd into an infinite loop in this function
> because of the "goto again" at the end of the function.
>
> this is in source/winbindd/winbindd_cm.c and the problem
> exists in 3.0 as well as 3.2 and I assume 3.3.
>
> Why are we doing this retry, and if it is necessary, we
> need to put a max number of trys on it

Herb,

I've looked at that code good and hard and flip flopped back and forth
on whether there was an infinite loop or not.  I'm still not sure.  I
have a patch that greatly refactors that whole path, but is still
incomplete.  If you're highly motivated I can send it to you to finish
the job.

-Steven