Bug #5906 patch in 3.0.x

Adrien Cunin adri2000 at ubuntu.com
Sun Feb 8 22:00:02 GMT 2009

Hi Jeremy and everyone,

(Jeremy, I'm CCing you as I think you're likely to be able to answer my
questions below)

I'm using Samba as NT PDC for a domain which trusts another NT domain (run by
Windows NT). It's running on Ubuntu 8.04 so Samba version is 3.0.28a (Ubuntu
package).

I encountered a bug making winbindd crash when calling getent group. I quickly
found bug #5906 in the bug tracker, applied the patch to the package provided by
Ubuntu and saw it was working.

So why was the patch not applied to the 3.0 branch? is there anything since
3.0.28a that fixed the bug differently? or did you think the bug didn't affect
3.0.x?
If it should have been applied to the 3.0 branch, can it be done now or has 3.0
reached end of life?

I'd like to apply this fix to the Ubuntu package as a bugfix update, and first
wanted your confirmation that it indeed is appropriate for 3.0.x.

Thanks.

(note: I'm not subscribed to this list, so please send answers to me as well)

--
Adrien Cunin aka Adri2000