[SAMBA4] Help wanted: utility to set password properties

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Feb 2 03:25:51 GMT 2009

Samba4 needs a small python script, and I figured I might as well ask
the list to write it :-)

We currently have utilities in source4/setup such as newuser,
setpassword and setexpiry.

However, we need a utility to manipulate the password properties, such
as minPwdAge, maxPwdAge, minPwdLength and pwdProperties.  These are
found in the basedn of the domain (ie DC=samba,DC=org).

pwdProperties in particular is a bitmask, defined as:

	/* password properties flags */
	typedef [public,bitmap32bit] bitmap {
		DOMAIN_PASSWORD_COMPLEX		= 0x00000001,
		DOMAIN_PASSWORD_NO_ANON_CHANGE  = 0x00000002,
		DOMAIN_PASSWORD_NO_CLEAR_CHANGE = 0x00000004,
		DOMAIN_PASSWORD_LOCKOUT_ADMINS  = 0x00000008,
		DOMAIN_PASSWORD_STORE_CLEARTEXT = 0x00000010,
		DOMAIN_REFUSE_PASSWORD_CHANGE   = 0x00000020
	} samr_PasswordProperties;

I need a new script to make it easier for administrators to set their
domain to not enforce complex passwords (in particular), and to set the
other flags.

Thanks,

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc.