idmap_nss support and use

Diego Remolina diego.remolina at physics.gatech.edu
Wed Dec 16 07:46:36 MST 2009

Please let me know if this should go on the samba-general list and I
will take the discussion there.

Is the idmap_nss plugin compiled in by default on a samba 3.4.4 build?

I am building using the RHEL makerpm.sh and can see that the provided
spec file has the entry:

--with-shared-modules=idmap_rid,idmap_ad,idmap_hash,idmap_adex \

which lacks idmap_nss.

The rpm built with those options does not seem to have an nss.so entry
under the idmap folder.

[root at phys-file01 samba]# rpm -ql samba | grep idmap
/usr/lib64/samba/idmap/ad.so
/usr/lib64/samba/idmap/adex.so
/usr/lib64/samba/idmap/hash.so
/usr/lib64/samba/idmap/rid.so

There are some other nss related entries, but I am not sure that they
are idmap related.

[root at phys-file01 samba]# rpm -ql samba | grep nss
/usr/lib64/samba/nss_info/adex.so
/usr/lib64/samba/nss_info/hash.so
/usr/lib64/samba/nss_info/rfc2307.so
/usr/lib64/samba/nss_info/sfu.so
/usr/lib64/samba/nss_info/sfu20.so
/usr/share/man/man8/idmap_nss.8.gz

When I tried to build adding idmap_nss to the configure options, the
build failed with:

...snip...
Building plugin bin/smb_traffic_analyzer.so
Compiling modules/vfs_dirsort.c
Building plugin bin/dirsort.so
make: *** No rule to make target `bin/nss.so', needed by `all'.  Stop.

RPM build errors:
makerpms.sh: Done.

I will follow up the question about the use of the plugin based on the
answer to this e-mail.

Thanks,

Diego