big ldb file after massive import

Matthieu Patou mat at matws.net
Mon Dec 14 08:49:06 MST 2009

Hello,

I made a test today trying to charge a lot of contacts (around 16000),
well the good point is that I was able to load them without problems.

The good points
* it is not so slow in comparison with w2k3 (loaded with also a lot of
contacts) (I would say it's in the same speed range).

The bad points:

* it seems that ldap request are clearly slower than before but I think
it's quite logical ...
* the users.ldb (well DC=...,DC=....ldb) is ~ 400MB before tdbbackup and
still 280MB after tdbbackup  (the  ntds.dit is 60MB with schema and
configuration partitions ...)
* The memory used by samba is big (quite logical) because the bid ldb
are mapped in memory (as far as I understand).

I didn't take the time to calculate how quick it is to insert in w2k3
and s4.

As I witnessed that the nTSecurityDescriptor is quite big for a contact
and it is always the same I was wondering how much it accounts in the
database.
So I made a simple programs to remove this attribute on all my contacts.
I am able to reduce the database to 199MB  (of course it's not usefull
anymore but it gives an idea of the space used by SD especially the long
ones like for contact, user, ...).

Matthieu