Samba4 Alpha 10

Torsten Kurbad samba-technical at tk-webart.de
Thu Dec 10 15:19:04 MST 2009

On Thursday, December 10, 2009 at 22:30 Sassy Natan wrote:

> I'm not trying to compile 4.0.0-alpha10, but 3.4.3 with
> --enable-merged-build.? What do u mean by that?

You probably heard of Samba Franky
[http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Franky].

"[...] the idea was born to combine the best parts of Samba3 and Samba4
to form Franky - a complete Samba Active Directory server that is also a
performant file server and a print server."

To accomplish this, Samba 3.4 tarballs ship with the complete source4
directory included. You can therefore do a

./configure --enable-merged-build

in the source3 directory of the Samba sources to build both Samba3 and
Samba4 in the same run.

But unfortunately, this doesn't work out of the box with the currently
available Samba 3.4.3 tarballs for various reasons, among them being
differences between the libtalloc sourcecode that ships with Samba and
the external libtalloc.

That's why I wanted to know, why you disabled external talloc for your
build of Samba4-alpha10, and whether you perhaps ran into the same
errors as I did, when trying to compile Franky.

I meanwhile figured that the samba4 part compiles fine, if I use
external talloc <= 1.3.1. Version 2.0.0 doesn't export the same symbols
as 1.3.1, which in turn breaks the build. I guess this could be fixed,
since the external tevent library can deal with any version of talloc >=
1.3.0, but following some recent discussions here, talloc and its goals
seem to be a matter of much debate lately...

If anyone is still interested: I updated the patch attached to Bug
#6952, which now properly moves the pytalloc.[ch] to a subdir and
updates the configure.in etc. accordingly to support python bindings for
both external and internal talloc.
Using this patch, the bin/samba4 target compiles fine for the recent
v3-4-test branch using external talloc-1.3.1 with

./configure --enable-merged-build --without-talloc

Best regards,
Torsten
--
Never make anything simple and efficient when a way can be found to
make it complex and wonderful.              - Murphy's Law No. 13 -