Is there a Memory Leak in Samba 3.4.3?

Wed Dec 9 06:53:30 MST 2009

On Wed, Dec 09, 2009 at 02:33:52PM +0100, Wolfgang Hotwagner wrote:
> I wrote too early. Now it stucks again.
>
> 6Clients read and 2 Clients wrote permanently at the samba-share for
> 2-3days.
> Now the share is not reachable and i could not use the console(locally) too.
> On the screen the following messages appear:
>
> INFO: task smbd:6252 blocked for more than 120seconds
> BUG: soft lockup - CPU#1 stuck for 61s! [smbd:5887]
>
> Any ideas?

When I google for

BUG: soft lockup - CPU stuck for

I am redirected to a ton of webpages that are completely
unrelated to Samba, most of them pointing at potential
kernel problems. This might be an indication that this
problem is triggered by Samba putting load on the kernel,
but that the real problem lies below Samba.

Volker