FRS / DFS replication

Matthieu Patou mat at matws.net
Tue Dec 8 07:48:19 MST 2009

Hello,

With all your job on DRS it's likely that sooner or latter we will want
to have DFS working and in order to allow files to be the same on all
the domain controller.
That leads to two protocol that MS product use to do so:
* FRS file replication protocol (from w2k)
* DFS replication

I think it will be a great plus for samba to support either DFS and/or
FRS, although in the simple scheme of just s4 server it can be replaced
by some clever inotify script + rsync (and also maybe in Windows as
well)  it will be needed for mixed windows/samba domain to support at
least one of the protocol.

As it seems that tridge wants to keep some compatibility with w2k I am
wondering how far he wants to keep the compatibility as now DFS
replication replace FRS (it's available since w2k3r2).

Matthieu.