scannedonly vfs module ported to samba 3.5

Olivier Sessink oliviersessink at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 13:23:26 MST 2009

Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 06, 2009 at 09:00:38PM +0100, Olivier Sessink wrote:
>> I now use open_udp_socket() for the UDP mode, but I don't see a function
>> to open to an existing unix domain socket in DGRAM mode...?
>
> Ok, right. I don't think we have a function for that. But to
> be honest -- why UDP and/or DGRAM?

1) connection reliability is not important in the design - if a file is
not yet scanned for viruses, a request for scanning is always sent or
re-sent (and the daemon is designed to handle that). It is thus not an
issue if a request does not arrive - it will be requested again.

2) only short messages (filenames) are sent to the anti-virus scanner.
Each single message easily fits into a datagram (I do pack multiple
messages when possible to avoid a too-large burst of messages).

thus --> The design does not require STREAM or TCP --> using DGRAM
results in very simple code and very little overhead.

regards,
	Olivier