Real world clients that reuse tids across multiple session setups in the same connection

Gerald Carter jerry at plainjoe.org
Fri Dec 4 08:37:55 MST 2009

Hey Simo,

simo wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-12-04 at 08:58 -0600, Gerald Carter wrote:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I'm trying to find real world examples of any client (Windows
>> or *nix) that
>>
>> * Issues multiple session setups on a single connection
>> * Issues a tcon&X on one session
>> * Reuses the issued TID on the second session
>>
>> Is this just an old Windows 95'ism (or 3.x) related to share
>> mode security that no modern clients use anymore?
>
> What a bout terminal servers ?
> I can't recall if they do that, but seem one place where
> it can be more likely.

Don't know.  I see multiple session setups a lot on a single
connection, but no evidence of connection sharing. I've also
see Win2008R2 issue the same TID for a share across separate
connections which is an interesting oddity but seems more
like a Windows implementation detail and less of a protocol
issue.

I was mind of hoping to be lazy and that someone would pop
up and say "Yeah.  Client X does this and here's a trace to
prove it." :)  I'll keep looking.  If you run across something,
I would be most interested.  Thanks much.

cheers, jerry