RFCs, Debian and Samba build dependencies

Christian Perrier bubulle at debian.org
Wed Dec 2 22:45:50 MST 2009

Quoting Christian Perrier (bubulle at debian.org):

> Ubuntu, except if they want to fork that packaging). Hopefully, there
> would not be any other consequence except that additional work...and
> as we will very soon rebuild tarballs to use bzip2.

Hmmmm, I was writing this mail in my daily commute train from work to
home and, as often, I had to stop it to go from one train to
another....and clearly forgot to complete the above sentence!:-)

It should have been something like:
"and, as we will very soon rebuild tarballs anyway in order to use
bzip2, that will not be a big hassle."

Indeed, I think that what's most annoying to me is having to add
"dfsg" to the tarball name (dfsg==Debian Free Software Guidelines, so
having a package with this in its name is a message like "hey, the
original upstream tarball is Evil Non Free Stuff and we had to clean
it up in place of This Evil Upstream"...which is not something that
fits what I know from the Samba Team).